Saturday 4 July 2020

Better to ETTR with Olympus EM1 MKII

One of the things I like about photography is you never stop learning. It's over 12 months since I swapped camera systems from Pentax to Olympus and I thought I'd pretty much learnt nuances of my Olympus EM1 MII. However the other night I found out something by making what I thought was a mistake.
Usually when photographing Barn Owls if the owl flies in front of a dark background I use -0.7 to -1 exposure compensation so stop the owls light plummage overexposing. Recently I was too slow and just took the photos at the cameras exposure, this gave me what looked like on the camera LCD an over exposed image which normally I'd delete (see bottom image below). This time I thought I'd keep the image and see what I could do in post processing in Capture One Pro.
To my surprise after decreasing the exposure my -1.2 in Capture One all the details in the owl plummage were there (see top image).
This has got me thinking on my next outing I'm going to try leaving the camera to control the exposure and see how many spoiled images I do actually get.
Watch this space ! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment